Javascript is not enabled on this browser. This site will not function properly if Javascript is not enabled.

Marc Balson D.D.S.


General Information

What is an Endodontist and what do they do?

Endodontists are dentists with special training in endodontic procedures. Because they are specialists  their practices are limited to providing  care of  an endodontic nature only.  The word endodontic comes from "endo" a Greek word for inside and the Greek word "odont" for tooth.   

You have been referred to Dr. Balson, an endodontist, because in the judgement of your general dentist your treatment requires specialized care.

To become an endodontic specialist one must complete not only dental school, but an additional  two or more years of advanced training in endodontics. Dr. Balson and his endodontic colleagues provide routine as well as complex endodontic treatments. In some cases surgical treatment may be required. General dentists also rely on their endodontic colleagues to assist in the diagnosis of complex oral and facial pain.

Oral pain such as toothaches or cracked / fractured teeth can often be difficult to pinpoint.  Because of the vast network of nerves in the mouth, the pain of a damaged or diseased tooth often is felt in another tooth and/or in the head, neck, or ear. An endodontist is the dental specialist many dentists refer their patients to for the diagnosis and treatment of this type of pain.

Pulp damage is sometimes caused by a blow to the mouth. The endodontist specializes in treating these traumatic injuries. For example, a blow to a child's permanent tooth that is not fully developed can cause the root to stop growing. A procedure called apexification stimulates the immature root to further develop which makes it possible to then save the tooth through a root canal procedure. In addition, endodontists are specially trained in procedures for replanting teeth that have been knocked out of their sockets.




Will I need to return to your office for Additional Visits?